Bart D. Hull

Default stopping a diesel

When I worked for Ryder truck the larger trucks had a T-handle on the dash to
pull the compression release. Probably the same on the Hino diesels except they
are solenoid actuated.

On a side note, the GM diesels made me lots of money with their cheesy fuel
cut off and even cheesier injection pump. Got quite a few calls to shut off a
car that wouldn't shut off with the key or worse yet was building rpm until
something broke.We'd use a Halon fire extinguisher and a big towel to shut them
off without damage.

Ahhhh, the good old days. (mid 80's) Where are the Halon fire extinguishers now?

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Engineman1 wrote:
A friend just bought a yacth with twin Hino diesels. They are started by a key
switch but when they you want to shut them off you have to press a stop button
until the engines quit, then turn the keys off. I don't have much experience
with diesels but years ago when I had a job repairing forklifts I ran into a
similar situation.
This seems to me to be unecesaralary complicated. After all, most diesel
powered cars turn on and off with a key switch. I have asked many people this
question but have gotten answers that didn,t seem plausible. So now I'm asking
the experts.
Thoughts?
Engineman1