Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat loss from furnace via flue ?

Brian wrote:
There used to be 82% and even 84% efficient furnaces, but
manufactures learned very quickly that cooling flu gasses
cases big problems....

Oh, so I guess they stopped making anything more efficient than 80%?

Don't listen to who ever suggested replace it with 90%.....

Waste of money. So if you currently pay $350/month you would
save 35$ - 40$. That is stupid.

Since when is saving $40 a month stupid? Now if you mean he may not
come out ahead by replacing his current furnace, that depends on how
much it will cost and how long he will be living there.

Go with dual fuel HeatPump.

Well, I guess you don't mean the economics I mentioned above, since now
you say it's OK to just replace what he has with a heat pump. And the
fact that he already has high gas bills should be a clue that a heat
pump would likely be even more costly to run in that kind of
environment.