Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

Default Need Advice How to Repair Plastic Power Switch on Dell 19" Monitor

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:39:47 GMT, "Michael Ware"
wrote:

Hi,

Recently purchased a monitor from eBay. It's a Dell 19" Monitor model
P991 - Sony Trinitron. The monitor was dropped by the courier, and did
some damage to the power button. I've opened the monitor to have a

look
and. Exterior button and spring are fine. It's the internal switch

that
is damaged. The plastic arm broke away from the switch shaft. The
switch is is soldered onto the "D" board. The Exterior button pushes

the
arm, which turns the switch on/off.

Anyone know the best way to reattach the shaft to the switch? Which

glue
or cement would work best on these two plastic parts to make a solid
bond? I can post pictures if necessary.

Thanks,
Steve.

If it were a monitor I owned, I would just go inside and jumper the power
switch so it's hot. I haven't turned a monitor off with a power switch in
years. When there is no signal, they turn off.

Right! If you really feel the need to be able to power the unit off,
say when you have brown-outs or lightning storms just wire an inline
on/off switch onto the power cord. They can be gotten at any hardware
store.