Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Question about Siding and Sheathing in a house

First off, cedar siding comes in various thicknesses. Don't get the thin
stuff like on my previous house. It cracks all over. In fact I don't know
why anyone would get cedar at all. Too much maintenence. Go with cement
board.

"joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be having my house re-sided with either cedar lap siding or
cedar shingles (currently it has cedar shakes that are poorly installed
(not sufficient overlap.) I have several questions.

#1--the sheathing underneath is shiplap (looks like 1x8 boards). Is
this significantly less strong than plywood sheathing? Would it be
worth my effort to have a layer of plywood installed over the top of
this shiplap sheathing? Also, this shiplap sheathing is installed
horizontally...I've heard its supposed to be diagonal...is this a bad
thing?

#2 When the siding people are installing the siding (and possibly
plywood), how on earth can they avoid the posibility of piercing a wire
or plumbing fixture?