Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default "Wood" dust collector for metal dust?

I fully agree - fire retardant. The bags are open bottom and fall into
a pull out tray. The air goes through the bag and finally routs outwards.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

John Normile wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:20:28 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Alan Rothenbush" wrote in message

I'm thinking of doing much the same thing for my little Sanford 4"x8"
Surface Grinder.
snip------

Any thoughts ?

Be certain that the sparks that come from the grinder can't ignite anything.
Vacuum cleaners with filters are subject to fires from grinding sparking
materials. The use of water in the chamber will help, but it will also
introduce a lot of moisture to your shop environment, so if you have rusting
problems, they're likely to be enhanced.

A few years ago while I was working on my surface grinder, I spoke to
a service tech at Boyar Schultz. We discussed my cleaning of the
vacuum base for the grinder. It is equipped with cloth filter
"bags". He cautioned me not to wash the bags, as they were treated
with a fire proofing / flame retardant material. He stressed this
point more than once, recounting his experience with fires in this
unit.

John Normile