Alex

Default "Wood" dust collector for metal dust?

I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975

I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
dust only!"

Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

Thanks,
Alex

RoyJ

Yes you will have a problem. The hoses and bags are not designed for hot
metal. You are likely to start a smouldering fire in the bags sooner or
later. If you insist on using it, you MUST put a metal precollector in
the line, preferably one with some cyclone action. Kits are available to
fit a trash can put they tend to be plastic. You could make one out of
appropriate 2" tubing. Check with your local auto parts place, most of
them have some bins of various exhaust pipe adapters and bends.

Alex wrote:
I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975

I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
dust only!"

Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

Thanks,
Alex

carl mciver

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
| http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975
|
| I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
| carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
| dust only!"
|
| Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

Construction of the equipment notwithstanding, wood dust is highly
explosive, and introduction of a hot chip into the dust is truly an awesome
thing to see. You can use appropriate ducting material and let the exhaust
from the grinder dump into a bucket, or for positive evacuation, I've seen
small shop vacs used, and you can get an additional device that turns on the
vacuum when you turn on the grinder.
Any material that creates a spark when grinding is not compatible with
explosive dust mixtures. Even if you don't get sparks into the mix, the
steel will make contact with the moist wood, start rusting, and if packed in
tight, can start a fire all on its own, sped up by the wood with a lower
temperature ignition point. You never want a pile of metal shavings or dust
to get damp.

Bob May

The flow rate is too low for pulling metal dust about except for the very
fine stuff. IN addition, as the other poster said, the collection systems
are usually plastic as well as cotton bags and filters and that stuff
doesn't like being hot.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Alex

What is the "right" dust collector for metal work?
Flow rate of my dust collector is 1550 CFM. Isn't this enough?

Based on your guys suggestion I'll put a metal bin with a precollector
instead of vertical bags it came with and vent exhaust outside.

BTW What kind od ducting I should use? Aluminum won't wok too good
because it's a mobile setup and I'll have connect/disconnect and move
to/from storage it every time I use it.

Thanks for all suggestions,
Alex

Bruce L. Bergman

On 17 Oct 2005 10:48:18 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975

I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
dust only!"

Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

If anything, you need to use a metal body shop vac that can safely
contain a fire. If you try using a workshop piped dust collection
system designed for woodworking to do both wood and metal clean-up
have water hoses and extinguishers on hand, and make sure your fire
insurance is paid up.

Besides the problems that have been mentioned already with hot
sparks from the grinder in the same bag house with wood dust, and the
moisture from the wood flour causing steel fines to oxidize and catch
fire, there is a third hazard that you create when you suck up the
grindings from a bench grinder or use a belt sander on metal - take
steel fines and aluminum fines, mix them together, and you have
Thermite. Does mot take much to set it off...

Keep the Wood Shop and the Metal Shop seperate.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Well, no, you WON'T have thermite, that's aluminum and iron oxide. but
finely divided metals are a hazard by themselves, fire and explosion.
We had a local knive maker's operation burn completely to the ground
when light alloy grinding dust caught fire in the dust collection
ductwork. Had been in business making cast magnesium alloy-handled
steak knives since before my folks were married. Now it's just a vacant
lot. Nuf said.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alan Rothenbush

I'm thinking of doing much the same thing for my little Sanford 4"x8"
Surface Grinder.

However, the device will NOT be used to do double-duty .. it will be a
dedicated device for Surface Grinder use only.

The plan is to build a little hood at the end of the table, with a hose
going
upwards to a typical blower/sucker.

(All the commercial units seem to try to catch the dust right at the wheel,
for
reasons that escape me; by catching it 6 inches away, much of the velocity
of
the particles has been lost, making them much more likely to be captured ..
or
so it seems to me)

Initial tests using a _small_ Shopvac showed this to be almost 100%
efficient in
capturing the dust, just darned noisy .. too noisy.

A portable dust collector setup should get it all, with much less noise.

What I'm not sure of is what to do with the exhaust. I could just dump it
outside,
but that seems like a waste of hot air in the winter; these things move a
lot of air.

So I'm left putting some sort of box and filter on the outlet. I'm thinking
about a
small version of the "swirl" type of units (using maybe a 5 gallon bucket
instead of a
garbage can, for all the dust that this little grinder will create) with the
outlet of the
swirl attached to the largest practical automotive air filter.

I'm also thinking about putting an inch of water in the bucket, to maybe
catch some
of the dust that way.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a new G9975 Shop Fox 2 HP Dust Collector.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9975

I am going to use it with my 2"x72" belt grinder and grind mostly
carbon and stainless steel but dust collector manual says "for WOOD
dust only!"

Is this "WOOD" dust collector going to have a problem with metal dust?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Alan Rothenbush" wrote in message

I'm thinking of doing much the same thing for my little Sanford 4"x8"
Surface Grinder.

snip------

Any thoughts ?

Be certain that the sparks that come from the grinder can't ignite anything.
Vacuum cleaners with filters are subject to fires from grinding sparking
materials. The use of water in the chamber will help, but it will also
introduce a lot of moisture to your shop environment, so if you have rusting
problems, they're likely to be enhanced.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Normile

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:20:28 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Alan Rothenbush" wrote in message

I'm thinking of doing much the same thing for my little Sanford 4"x8"
Surface Grinder.
snip------
Any thoughts ?

Be certain that the sparks that come from the grinder can't ignite anything.
Vacuum cleaners with filters are subject to fires from grinding sparking
materials. The use of water in the chamber will help, but it will also
introduce a lot of moisture to your shop environment, so if you have rusting
problems, they're likely to be enhanced.

A few years ago while I was working on my surface grinder, I spoke to
a service tech at Boyar Schultz. We discussed my cleaning of the
vacuum base for the grinder. It is equipped with cloth filter
"bags". He cautioned me not to wash the bags, as they were treated
with a fire proofing / flame retardant material. He stressed this
point more than once, recounting his experience with fires in this
unit.

John Normile

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I fully agree - fire retardant. The bags are open bottom and fall into
a pull out tray. The air goes through the bag and finally routs outwards.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Alan Rothenbush :
I'm thinking of doing much the same thing for my little Sanford 4"x8"
Surface Grinder.

Does your Sanford have the little vertical partition at the left
end of the table? It seems to stop most of the dust, but no all. Would
you be hitching the intake hose to that partition?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564