Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Default Rocking Horse Droppings - (10M USB repeater cable)

wrote:
Grunff wrote:

wrote:

snip

A nicer way of doing this, which allows you to keep a nice, high-speed
USB link, is by using a USB - CAT5e - USB adaptor. These work very well.

http://misco.co.uk/productinformation/~90459~MB~/index.htm

--
Grunff

Thanks for that Grunff I had spotted those in my search, but we're a
poor school and that's a bit steep for this particular application -
Connecting the USB on a Panasonic Data Projector (got em cheap guvnor,
honest) to the PC so that you can control the mouse using the
projector's remote. Not fantastic data rate requirement, but a very
nice feature.

They're £10 cheaper from CPC. The problem with USB is that the timing
doesn't work over 5m without a repeater. Unless you want to use a
USB-over-cat5 you need to buy 2 active repeaters. I've tested it and it
works (for up to 5 daisy-chained repeaters), but the price is comparable
to the USB-over-cat5 kits, which are the _only_* way to do it without a
break every 5m.

All this is USB1.1. Because these are active devices the USB2 versions
do actually cost more (simple cables are identical).

* technically there's USB-over-fibre which is apparently good for 500m!
Hopefully I'll get to play with that soon.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk