Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Identify Kurk mill vise?

Robert Swinney wrote:
If it's not an import . . . . and it looks like a Kurt, holds like a Kurt,
walks like a Kurt, talks like a Kurt, smells like a Kurt, etc..etc, then it
may be a Kurt. But OTOH, why would it be missing Kurt's characteristic blue
metal tag? Don't worry about it - if it'll hold stuff square and tight, it
may be a pretty good imitation of a Kurt.

You can buy genuine Kurt replacement jaws and other parts from J&L, MSC and
others.

Bob (likes his 2 Kurtz) Swinney

"Mike" wrote in message

I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk.
There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like
Kurk and it's not an Import.
Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing
to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

if it works just as well does it matter where it was made?