Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Default Identify Kurk mill vise?

I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk.
There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like a
Kurk and it's not an Import.
Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing
to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

If it's not an import . . . . and it looks like a Kurt, holds like a Kurt,
walks like a Kurt, talks like a Kurt, smells like a Kurt, etc..etc, then it
may be a Kurt. But OTOH, why would it be missing Kurt's characteristic blue
metal tag? Don't worry about it - if it'll hold stuff square and tight, it
may be a pretty good imitation of a Kurt.

You can buy genuine Kurt replacement jaws and other parts from J&L, MSC and
others.

Bob (likes his 2 Kurtz) Swinney

"Mike" wrote in message
I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk.
There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like
Kurk and it's not an Import.
Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing
to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

"Mike" wrote in message

I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk.
There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like
Kurk and it's not an Import.
Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing
to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

if it works just as well does it matter where it was made?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Default Identify KURT mill vise?

No tag to identify it. Anything else to look for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

if it works just as well does it matter where it was made?

Well, it would be nice to know for sure.
Kinda like a car. If it get's you where you want to go, why does it have to
be a V8?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Assuming that you meant Kurt, the 3" and 4" versions have a casting number
on the bottom of the vise. If yours has one, what is it?

Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk.
There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like
Kurk and it's not an Import.
Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing
to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:52:23 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

No tag to identify it. Anything else to look for?

Mike, I also have a unidentified Kurt style vise on my mill. Nice big
6".

Frankly..Im not planning on putting it on Ebay..nor is it something I
wish to brag about in mixed company G and as long as the jaws close
evenly..(and they do) and aftermarket inserts fit (they do)..I dont
see what difference it makes if its made by the Chinese Red Dragon
Noodle and Machine Tool Collective, or Kurt.

But...if its eating you up..call Kurt and ask them how to ID it.

http://www.kurt.com/

5280 Main Street NE
Minneapolis, MN 55421
763-572-1500
Fax: 763-572-9878

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Assuming that you meant Kurt, the 3" and 4" versions have a casting number
on the bottom of the vise. If yours has one, what is it?

I'll pull it off the mill as soon as I can. I know there is some numbers
there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Mike" wrote in message

Assuming that you meant Kurt, the 3" and 4" versions have a casting
number
on the bottom of the vise. If yours has one, what is it?

I'll pull it off the mill as soon as I can. I know there is some numbers
there.

FWIW, my 4" Kurt has "D40 1" and "USA" in raised letters in a pocket on the
bottom of the vise. An older 6" Kurt would probably have something like
"D60".

Mike