Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Question about roof timbers

John Rumm wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Don't be silly. Read the OP.

I read it, and could not see any need for 2x2"s Hence my question.

You said: "The rafters will be be 3x2's at 2 foot centres (inside face
to inside face.) Which means that you will need to put extra 2x2s in at
4 or 8 foot intervals. "

Aside from the fact that the rafters are probably not going to be 3x2" and almost certainly
won't be at 2' centres, what have the rafters got to do with anything? He wants to board the
floor, not the underside of the roof.You know that now but I didn't then.

H wrote:

I want to board my loft space.

I assumed he meant all of it.

The house was built in the 1960's and the loft space is fairly open in
the middle (not trusses). It's a standard pitched roof (not hipped).

In other words the rafters -no matter what section, are set at imperial
dimensions. Modern plasterboard is metric. He will lose about half an
inch in every board length.

As I want to board the loft space

I would have said by "loft space" he meant to enclose it all, otherwise
he'd have said something more germaine such as: I want to put some
stuff in the loft so I want to board the floor...

Assuming he was thinking of expandiing his family, I would have thought
it an idea to put the leckie, aeriels, computer leads and plumbing
under the boards or better still in the unusable outer edges.

He would then have needed to support or strengthen the floor joists.
His understatement at the end, about leaving things out, should have
warned me he was u ijaut.