Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rough sawing logs with a chainsaw

Hi Tom

My take on it, unless you are going to go into a part time job cutting
up logs in your area, I would suggest to have someone come with a
Woodmizer or similar band saw and have it done.
Yes you could saw with a chain saw, there are setups that make it
possible to do that, like the (Alaska mill), you need a big enough
chain saw to handle the chain length required and you should also use a
ripping chain, a very good bar or you saw sideways, keep the chain snug
and sweat G.
Than you have to be able to set up the logs so that you can saw them,
move the sawn slabs etc,.
You will lose a lot more wood using a chain saw and it is a lot slower.
If I had a few logs and was unable to get them to a mill, I would get
someone with a saw to come and cut up the logs.
A friend of mine and I hauled a dozen or so eastern white cedar logs to
a sayer just Oh 14" to 18"D logs mostly 15 to 20 feet long, for
building a bridge over a gully and it took not very long to slice the
logs up into 2" slabs, with the 3 of us, if you have to do that by
yourself it will take a lot longer and it can get risky, logs are heavy
and if you are not used to doing that it's just-- well-- that, risky.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo