Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

Default Roy Underhill is coming!

"Max Mahanke" wrote in message
ink.net...
At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I met Roy when he did a
presentation to the Triangle Woodworkers Asc. in Raleigh. At the end when
everyone was fawming over him for his autograph, I slipped a picture of
the
dreaded Norm (backside up) in front of him and asked him for his
autograph.
He started to sign the back and then stopped, saying, "What the hell, am I
signing a picture of Norm?", then turned it over and signed across the
front, "Woodworking beyond the Norm, Roy Underhill". We all had a good
laugh. I'm thinking of putting the picture on E-Bay ... any offers?

Roy definitely has a quick and sharp wit... As I was leaving my employ at
Colonial Williamsburg I asked him to autograph my copies of his books. In
one, taking a shot at my roommate, he wrote 'To John, Survivor of the
"Summer of the Blonde!" My roommate was best of friends with Roy's wife
Jane. Carol really was amused... ;~)

John