Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default A little metal crank

"Every time I use the buffer I think of the creativity and
perceptiveness that children have before it's "educated" out of
them if parents allow that to happen. A little neighbor girl,
about 4, insatiably curious and bright as a new dime, wandered into
my shop on a summer day when all the doors were open. Ally knew the
rules he gotta mind Don or ya can't come in. I get nothing
done when Ally is here because I don't dare take my eye off of her
for a second. I don't mind, for a little while anyway. She's
curious and rather bold for a tyke. I like that about her. She does
mind cheerfully and well, but if nobody told her specifically not to
push this button or that......
She wondered what that green machine did. So I gave her a face
shield to hold (too big for her to wear), positioned her and myself
safely (buffers have a way of grabbing and throwing), and showed her
what it does. Then I pointed to the buttons. "See, the red button
makes it stop. The letters on it say O-F-F because it turns the
machine off, makes it stop. You know that red lights mean stop,
right?" She nodded vigorously. "What do you suppose the letters
on the green button say, Ally?" She hit me with her 300-watt grin
and said, without an instant of hesitation, "SHINEY!"
Bingo for Ally! Made me wanna re-label the green button. "

Don, your neighbors are lucky to have someone like you.

Never underestimate the positive influence moments like those have on a
young child.

TMT