Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default A little metal crank

When I was five, my mom died and my older sisters were in charge 'till dad
got home from work. If I was "Acting-up" the sisters would call dad at the
shop and he would have to come home and get me. On the way back to work, he
would stop at the hobby shop and buy a plastic model for me to build to keep
me busy at the shop while he got some work done. (Gee, anytime I wanted a
new model AND go play at the shop...sisters never got that) When I was done
with the model, I would wander the shop and all the employees would keep an
eye on me. The best part was Mary Sitzenstock would let me push the start
button on the 385 brush machine. OHMYGOD...What a thrill to see this
massive, noisy monstrosity jump to life and create something! I was HOOKED!
Mary retired last year after over sixty years with us...she started when she
was fourteen working for my grandfather. I scrapped the 385 machine two
years ago and replaced it with a new machine, built in 1968. The machine
company still makes that model so parts are easy to get. The old one had to
have everything hand carved and there were some seriously intricate *******
parts to make.

I'm going to re-label ALL my start buttons with "$$$".

Thanks for making me remember that!!!