Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
CW

Default What is it? C

579 Screws on to the end of a rod for pushing claning patches down gun
barrels.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to R.H. :
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking. Getting a
late start tonight. (It may be tomorrow by the time I finish typing. :-)

575) -- one of the various optional electrodes from the antique home
diathermy kits. The usual primary one was a bent tube with a
funnel on the end, and a gently domed cap.

In operation, a high voltage was generated and applied to the
electrode on the small end of the tube. It would generate a
purplish glow inside the tube (low pressure + high voltage), and
it would loosen overtense muscles. (It would also blast out
reception of any radio station for blocks around, making them
rather unpopular with the FCC. :-)

576) What it the material? Iron? It looks like a decorative anchor
for a carrying strap on some old Chinese basketwork.

577) Quite obviously, an old (pre pop-up) toaster. I remember that
my grandparents used one like that when I was a kid.

The round things half-way up the sides were asbestos disks so
you could grip it to open the doors, let the toast slide down,
and re-close it to toast the other side.

Ours had a knob on one end which opened both sides at once, and
closed them at once.

578) From the side, it looks like an old and elaborate radiator cap,
but I believe that in reality, it is a hardness tester, for one
of the Rockwell hardness scales -- with 'C' being the most
common.

579) If it were not for the smaller threads on the other end, and
the poor choice of material, I would think that it was a
"transfer screw", for marking a centerpunch mark in steel to
match a threaded hole. (It may still be something of the sort
for woodwork, where the brass would not be a problem, but I
don't know why the smaller threads at the other end.

580) I don't know. Perhaps for bending thin sheet metal -- perhaps
copper for roofing flashing?

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564