Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,sci.electronics.repair
Folkert Rienstra

Default tips/links for hard drive heads transplantation?

"Jules" wrote in message news
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:22:27 +0100, Folkert Rienstra wrote:
Rotflol. You a rocket scientist, right?
"Jules" wrote in message news
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:30:31 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
kip wrote

Which clean room will you be using ?

He's gunna need a hell of a lot more than a clean room.

Actually, it's an interesting experiment (and one I'd expect to fail),
but:

1) Drives will usually run for anything between a few hours to a few days

Ah, you do this all the time.

No, usually once a month or so in order to recover data from drives with
sealed spindle motors that are suffering from stiction or bearing
problems. I just tend to leave them running once I've got everything off
just out of curiousity to see how long they'll last before they go crunch.

After they already have gone crunch once before you got them.

2) I'm not sure how much of an issue radial alignment is - won't modern
drives handle the calibration automatically during startup?

Ah yeah, those little servo motors adjusting them mechanically at startup.

Umm, what servo motors? Long time since any hard disk used them...

And none ever used servo motors to adjust head alignment, you simpleton.

Ahh, gotta love the trolls...

Especially those that display their ignorance so fast and freely that
it is almost impossible not to make fun of them (i.e. ignore the bait).

Making you the troll, (in case you missed that too).