Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,sci.electronics.repair
Folkert Rienstra

Default tips/links for hard drive heads transplantation?

Rotflol. You a rocket scientist, right?

"Jules" wrote in message news
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:30:31 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
kip wrote

Which clean room will you be using ?

He's gunna need a hell of a lot more than a clean room.

Actually, it's an interesting experiment (and one I'd expect to fail),
but:

1) Drives will usually run for anything between a few hours to a few days

Ah, you do this all the time.

after being opened up providing you're careful about the environment
in which it's done. That's long enough to recover data off the drive (but
forget using the drive long term

obviously

'obviously'

its heads

You sure it's the heads and not the platters?

*will*

as in God's *will* or did you make deal with the devil?

crash eventually)

Or die of old age.

2) I'm not sure how much of an issue radial alignment is - won't modern
drives handle the calibration automatically during startup?

Ah yeah, those little servo motors adjusting them mechanically at startup.

(and periodically during use to minimise the effects of temperature changes).

I'd assume that track zero is found electronically, rather than being
dictated by any mechnical resting place of the head assembly.

Lets hope so as they are as far apart as they can be on the platter.

Head height is doubtless very critical though

(even with flying heads)

No kidding.

and for that you would need a lab to set up properly.

Yeah, better start saving for that automatic laser guided
adjusting rig.
And for that laser guided robot that applies it back
into the drive without upsetting 'the adjustment'.

There's also the problem of how to physically remove the head stack

from the donor drive -

Yeah, it is 'obviously' much easier to remove them from the bad drive
and restoring them to the bad drive is 'obviously' a doddle too.

those magnets are *strong*

Especially those that apply the downforce to the heads and in need of micro 'adjustment'.

and likely something would get damaged in the process of removing the head assembly...

Your pride obviously if it sticks to your screwdriver while the heads are
still on the platters, making a Karel Appel impression on the platters.

cheers

Jules