Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Shim session 1

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip----

So far, I am using all one-thou shims. Would you like me to get some
thicker ones?

If you can put a shim in that is the proper thickness and you have one on
hand, it makes screwing around with the job easier because you don't have
to keep chasing the shims to keep them stacked properly. Otherwise, if
you've kept things clean, shouldn't make any difference.

When you shim the base, try to install the exact amount of shim that the
position requires------which is much easier if you have the .001" shims you
mentioned, otherwise it requires a variety of shims---not really necessary.

While I'm at it, are there any cheap but good indicator
holders I should get? I cobbled together a contraption using parts from
the Baker kit and at least one import mag base. Maybe that's good
enough. Most of my dti work is spindle mounted for aligning my vise,
and that is easy (slap it in a collet) and works well.

I've always used the attachments that came with my indicators, but when I
need something beyond normal application I use the large unit that came with
my Starrett mag base. By chucking a short piece of 3/8" diameter material
I can then use pretty much any kind of extension needed. I'm not sure
what the new ones look like, but mine has a large knurled nut that unlocks
the swivel that accommodates two 3/8" rods---which you can then place at any
angle you prefer. Hope this makes sense. It does when you're holding the
attachment. Beyond that, I have no suggestions.

To tighten the bolts, I gave them a good tug and then a few light whacks
with a mallet. Was that overkill? They were _really_ tight before I
got to them. Do I need to do something else? Having seen a vise slip,
I have renewed respect for milling forces, but obviously, stripping
those bolts would be a BAD idea =:0

Agreed, stripping them would be a bad thing, but it might be a good idea to
check proper torque specs for the diameter bolt in question and use a torque
wrench. Breaking the bolt wouldn't be nearly as bad a deal as having the
head move under a cut. If you do use a torque wrench, unless you can
ascertain that the bolts are heat treated, tighten them to specs for a class
2 bolt. That's playing it safe. I'm not sure how I feel about using a
hammer on the threads. I've always just trusted my instincts when
tightening bolts, but then I've tightened one hell of a lot of them.

Harold