Ned Simmons

Default OT - PLC Programming Software

In article ,
am says...

Re your comment about the protocol converter, I've been perusing their
online docs a bit trying to find out just what is required but I've
not found anything that says you can connect to a standard modem so a
converter may in fact be required. I have noticed reference to a
"1784-KTX" card which may be RS485 (??).

In cases where the PLC comm port is documented I've been
able to make a cable in order to use a converter from some
other PLC I've had on hand. Some of the mfrs are more
forthcoming than others with detailed info. I have an older
SLC manual here that says the protocol is RS422, but gives
no further details.

If you can't learn any more let me know and I'll ask a
friend who uses a lot of AB controllers. Since the
programmer port is sometimes used to communicate with other
devices, he may have the pinout.

Re the PLC Direct stuff, I have a soft spot for it as well.
The first PLCs I used for real jobs were GE Series Ones,
which were rebadged Koyos, and the same controllers are
still sold by PLC Direct. Some of the first I installed are
still operating in a customer's plant after 17 years.

Ned Simmons