ERich10983

Default OT - PLC Programming Software

A local inventor developed a machine for installing hooks on plantpots.
Doesn't sound like a useful thing, but a typical greenhouse might have to do 6
million of these pots for Walmart in a short growing season. Anyway, we used
an AutomationDirect 205 PLC that was perfect and did everything we wanted. The
distributor, however, decided that we should use Omron for export to the
European market. After some difficulty, we translated the program to use the
different PLC. I've used both before, so no real big deal.

Then! they decided that we should use the AB PLCs because their maintenance
department was more familiar with them.

What a headache! That is the most unfriendly software I've used in some time.
Almost like programming in machine language again. It took me about a week to
finally figure out how to make things start to work again. Three weeks before
the machine control was back to where we started.

I've used a lot of different PLCs, but this was the worst for learning on. Of
course, if you do master this one, the others will be a piece of pie, (apple,
of course).

Of all the PLCs, I really like the DL series by AutomationDirect the best.
They make some really nifty ones for only $99 that will handle most control
functions, even stepper control. You might be better off getting one of those
and passing the AB unit on to someone already equipped to deal with it.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Already being subjected to telephone polling surveys for president. Too Early!
Alan Raisanen

I'll second that opinion on the Automation Direct units. Cheap, flexible,
and you can get a version of their DirectSoft programming software for the
PC to handle only the models of PLC you want. It's cheapest ($99) for the
$99 DL05 or DL105 series units only, $149 for the DL05/06/105 series PLC's,
and most expensive ($495) for the software that handles pretty much the
whole product line. I use the DL05 and DL06 units for most of my fluid/valve
control systems and detector control systems. For $200, you can get a DL05
series PLC and the DirectSoft programming software, and learn all about
ladder logic programming, drum controller instructions, PID controls, stage
programming, etc. Manuals can be downloaded from the automation direct
website for free. Good stuff!

Al Raisanen

"ERich10983" wrote in message
[...]

Laurie Forbes

On 17 Sep 2003 23:56:21 GMT, (ERich10983) wrote:

Then! they decided that we should use the AB PLCs because their maintenance
department was more familiar with them.

What a headache! That is the most unfriendly software I've used in some time.
Almost like programming in machine language again. It took me about a week to
finally figure out how to make things start to work again. Three weeks before
the machine control was back to where we started.

I've used a lot of different PLCs, but this was the worst for learning on. Of
course, if you do master this one, the others will be a piece of pie, (apple,
of course).

As I mentioned to Ned, I've been perusing their docs a bit and think I
see what you mean - a lot of references to bit registers etc. I've
also tried out a demo of Schneider Automation's "Concept" Functional
Block Diagram programming which seems much more advanced.

Of all the PLCs, I really like the DL series by AutomationDirect the best.
They make some really nifty ones for only $99 that will handle most control
functions, even stepper control. You might be better off getting one of those
and passing the AB unit on to someone already equipped to deal with it.

I came up with the AB as it was exchanged for Modicon Momentum PLCs
(programmed using Momentum) during an upgrade at a water treatment
plant I do some consulting for. If I can't get the thing going
without a lot of hassle, I may try what you suggest.

Anyhow, thanx all for your help........

Laurie Forbes
Brian Lawson

Hey Earle,

And how much did the software for the DL and the Omron stuff cost?
From a few auctions I've managed to collect a few PLC's like SLC-150's
and some Omron and a DL-something, but have no software, so they all
just sit on the shelf.

I'd like to at least tinker with them.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[...]

ERich10983

And how much did the software for the DL and the Omron stuff cost?
From a few auctions I've managed to collect a few PLC's like SLC-150's
and some Omron and a DL-something, but have no software, so they all
just sit on the shelf.

I'd like to at least tinker with them.

When I started with the Omron, I just used the hand held programmer. Difficult
to see what's happening and slow, but I probably learned better because I
didn't have a computer to keep track of everything.

You can also use a hand held programmer with the DL series, but the software is
very useful and the display of the ladder logic, monitoring status and cross
reference is VERY worthwhile. $100 for the software will get you going
quickly.

Check out

www.automationdirect.com
http://www.plcs.net/

for prices and on-line tutorials.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Bathroom Design Software Trevor Oakley UK diy 7 January 12th 04 06:02 AM
3-D Design Software Roger Mills UK diy 8 October 5th 03 05:58 AM
Tax software Snowman UK diy 6 September 2nd 03 10:03 PM