Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Default Kel Centre Saver

Hi Tom

I have been using my KM coring tool for years with good results. I do not
have any video on it yet, although we are hoping to put a segment in on my
next video which we will be filming in March. However, I do have an article
with pictures on my personal website. The URL is in my sig line.

To answer your question now, the curve of the blade does determine the shape
of the cut, but the depth of the cut can be adjusted by the angle of entry
into the blank. In other words, the knife is going to follow a fixed curve,
but that curve can be deep or shallow depending on how you stick it into the
wood.

The tool suffers much in the way of bad press from people who are not using
it correctly. I am big and strong, but I have had little grandmotherly type
ladies using it to good effect as well. In fact, I have a picture of a
friend of mine using it (and she would smack me with it if she thought I was
referring to her as grandmotherly!). She is about 100 lbs, 5 ft and a
little bit, and has carpal tunnel syndrome to boot, but she was coring bowls
just the same. If you send me an email, I will give you the link to the
picture. I don't know if she would want me posting it publicly.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine
www.wonderfulwood.com commercial
www.enter.net/~ultradad personal

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
I 'Googled' all last evening and although I got lots of hits and read a lot
of good info, I didn't end the evening feeling I had a handle on using the
Kel Centre-Saver system. Does anyone know of a site that shows clear
pictures of the tool in action and a narrative? If it matters, I have the
'large' model to use on a General 26020VS.

I have yet to try to use it. I understand the rest gate and the 'T'
handle's function but I'm unsure how you would advance the blade into the
blank to maintain a desired wall thickness. My intuition tells me that the
curvature of the blade governs the shape of the cut??

I guess you could say I was a bit apprehensive as it is a formidable
looking beast and could probably do the operator (me!) a lot of damage if
improperly handled.

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC