Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planes

Doug Payne wrote:
On 31/01/2006 11:30 PM, brianlanning wrote:

But where can I get a combination plane? I mean, other
than ebay.

Nothin' wrong with eBay. I've bought 2 really nice Stanley 45's there in
the past while for less than $200 each. One was complete (well, except
for the nosing tool and the hollows and rounds, which were always
optional extras), one was missing a couple of parts that I was easily
able to find and buy inexpensively, also on eBay. ...

I have to disagree with the "nothing wrong with Ebay comment."

Back when I was buyin on Ebay lot of sellers put the words "complete
and undamaged" into their descritptions even though they were
selling planes that were incomplete or damaged. In some cases
that was probably ignorance, some sellers perhaps do not know that
a #78 is supposed to have a depth stop and fillister. Certainly there
were a near equal number of seelers apologizing for the 'missing'
front blade on their #78s.

However a significant number were just plain careless, and some
were outright frauds.

I used to compare the descriptions to the pictures and when there
was a a discrepency I would send a_polite_ email pointing this out
to the buyer. E.g. a plane with a big chunk broken out of the cheek
described as 'undamaged'. About a third of the time there was no
reply from the seller. The two thirds that did reply were about
evenly dividen between "Thanks, we didn't notice/know and have
revised the description" and "**** off, if you don't like it don't bid
on it."

--

FF