Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Paul K. Dickman

Default What is it? C

They're seaming tongs for closing the joints on standing seam roofs.

Paul K. Dickman

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Rich Grise" wrote: (clip)The 580 tongs I'm guessing are for hot sheet
metal.
The same thought passed through my mind. The style and construction of
those tongs says "blacksmith." The width says "sheet metal." A piece of
sheet metal the width of those tongs would be too stiff to bend cold, so
we come to hot sheet metal. But nothing in a blacksmith shop would heat a
piece of sheet metal that wide uniformly, so there must be more to the
story.