Laurie Forbes

Default OT - PLC Programming Software

On 17 Sep 2003 23:56:21 GMT, (ERich10983) wrote:

Then! they decided that we should use the AB PLCs because their maintenance
department was more familiar with them.

What a headache! That is the most unfriendly software I've used in some time.
Almost like programming in machine language again. It took me about a week to
finally figure out how to make things start to work again. Three weeks before
the machine control was back to where we started.

I've used a lot of different PLCs, but this was the worst for learning on. Of
course, if you do master this one, the others will be a piece of pie, (apple,
of course).

As I mentioned to Ned, I've been perusing their docs a bit and think I
see what you mean - a lot of references to bit registers etc. I've
also tried out a demo of Schneider Automation's "Concept" Functional
Block Diagram programming which seems much more advanced.

Of all the PLCs, I really like the DL series by AutomationDirect the best.
They make some really nifty ones for only $99 that will handle most control
functions, even stepper control. You might be better off getting one of those
and passing the AB unit on to someone already equipped to deal with it.

I came up with the AB as it was exchanged for Modicon Momentum PLCs
(programmed using Momentum) during an upgrade at a water treatment
plant I do some consulting for. If I can't get the thing going
without a lot of hassle, I may try what you suggest.

Anyhow, thanx all for your help........

Laurie Forbes