Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Need Advice How to Repair Plastic Power Switch on Dell 19" Monitor

"Just Another Theremin Fan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arfa Daily wrote:

The OP is not a professional repairer,

That's stating the obvious! He's a bodger...

His house is not going to burn down as a
result - even if the shaft breaks again, and the piece of wire does
become
exposed - and how that is going to have any effect is beyond me anyway.

OK have it your way. The risk of exposed wires sticking out of a telly
is perfectly safe!

really are just being pedantic about this.

If having good safety standards is "being pedantic" than call me
pedantic!

He's not a bodger - in fact we don't know what he is other than a person who
asked a perfectly reasonable question on a newsgroup dedicated to such
items. As far as " wires sticking out of a telly " goes, where does this
come from ? Any fool with two brain cells can see that this ridiculous
statement bears no relevance to anything that's been said in the thread by
any one other than yourself. Clearly, exposed wires sticking out of a
television set is a serious safety issue, and no one in their right mind
would suggest otherwise, but a solid repair to a plastic shaft, on a switch
worked by a plastic extension untouchably secured inside a monitor cabinet,
can by no means be construed as a serious safety issue. Yes, I called you
pedantic ( which is a lot more polite than what you called myself and
Leonard ) and if you insist that this really is a safety standard issue,
then I stand by that. I really don't have a problem with you having high
safety standards, and like most, if not all of the professionals who
frequent this group, I would NEVER advocate anything which would be
generally considered in the business, to be dangerous to life or hazardous
in terms of property damage. I too have high safety standards, but applied
in a sensible way. In 35 years, no repair of mine has ever electrocuted
anyone, or burnt their house down.

Clearly, we're never going to see eye to eye on this, so I think we'll have
to just agree to differ, and leave it to the OP to decide if he considers it
safe to repair his switch, or tries to get a manufacturer's replacement.

Arfa