Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Don Bruder

Default OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride

In article ,
"TBone" wrote:

Every State and municipality for that matter is or can be different and you
need to check with them. A quick trip to the municipal building will answer
your questions. Since the municipality did not remove them, it is probably
not illegal for them to be there but I can't say what the usage rules (if
any) might apply.

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
I bought this pickup last fall, from a nearby municipality, it has
only 35k miles on it despite baing 15 years old. They did not use it
much.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dodge350.jpg

1) about yellow strobe lights. Is it legal for a regular person to
have these lights (when they are turned off)? What about driving with
them turned on? I would presume that it is illegal. I am in IL.

2) It is a 1 ton truck and it bounces a lot, like on speedbumps and
such. Is it simply due to having strong suspension (it is a 1 ton
model), or is something wrong with it?

thanks

*IN GENERAL*, a yellow flasher is kosher anywhere, being considered
nothing more or less than a "Hey! Look out! There's a vehicle here that
you might not otherwise notice" warning. About half of the carriers at
the paper I substitute-carry for use yellow strobes/flashers. Some of
them are more or less permanent installations like a county truck or
similar, others use the "Kojak"-style bubble that mag-mounts to the roof
and plugs into the cig. lighter, then gets tossed in the back seat when
not on the route. I have yet to hear of any of them catching even the
slightest flack from anybody "official" about them, despite paper
carriers being "highly likely to be stopped" targets around here
(northern CA) because they and drunks tend to be about the only source
of boredom relief available for the cops between roughly 2 and 6 AM.

Red, blue, or white flashers, on the other hand, are (or are nearly)
universally reserved for cops, firetrucks, and ambulances, and putting
one on pretty much any other vehicle (never mind being stupid enough to
actually light it up in traffic...) is usually a quick way to get a free
overnight stay (at least) in the local greybar hotel. Green seems to be
in a "grey area", legally - Some places don't care. Other places will
jump on you with both feet.

Check with the powers that be *WHERE YOU ARE* for the answer that's
right in your case.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info