Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mikercana1

Default Need Advice How to Repair Plastic Power Switch on Dell 19" Monitor

Where do you get the idea that a switch is a safety device????

Never heard of that before, fuses/ thermal fuses / protection ICs /
circuit breakers and a few more that I have not mentioned.

But nowhere is a switch a safety device unless it is configured as
"Panic switch" "emergency shut off" or some sort of circuitry to shut
off in case of emrgency or fire.

This switch is simply a device to turn on the electronic circuitry on
the circuit board, in this case there is only low voltage going thru
this switch, to a control IC/microprocessor or some similar circuitry.

Although it might sound strange to use krazy glue , it is merely
re-attaching the plastic knob to the switch part itself, nothing else.
In what way would that constitude a safety hazard (taken for granted
that the device is unplugged before doing so).

Not sure in what part of electronic repair you do your work but
comments like yours are definetly not welcome on a newsgroup like this.

Yes if I were to do this repair for a customer, I would certainly
replace it with a new one, but if another techie or someone who figures
that hecan do the job himself , want the easy route in order to save
time/work, then lets help him out.

My2cents.