Posted to rec.woodworking
Vidkid26

Default My first mailorder big machine

On 2006-01-31 15:16:13 -0800, Ba r r y
said:

On 31 Jan 2006 14:32:13 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

My first mailorder big machine is showing up tomorrow at 3pm from abf
freight and amazon. It's a 300lb sander. I know the truck has a lift
gate. And the lady at the trucking company said that they would wheel
it into the garage for me. I expect things to be uneventful. Can
anyone suggest anything to watch out for? Should I tip this guy?

Someone else already suggested an in-truck inspection, great idea.

Hopefully, the "lady" and the actual driver are on the same page as
far as inside delivery is concerned. Many trucking companies,
including ABF in my area, will simply slide the item to the back of
the rig and stop. With a lift gate, they're often nice enough to at
least get it on the ground. G

Barry

As I am an ABF driver who delivers these all the time, there is one
thing your should look for. Make sure there is no oil anywhere on the
box. If it is a spindle sander, they are top heavy and some times they
will tip over. I have had two or three of these have to come back
because of miss handling on the dock. It's the only one of wich I have
seen this problem. Amazon will usually pay for ground delivery. This
only gets it to the ground in the street, if he can't back into your
driveway.

By the way tips are always welcome but not necessarry.