Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Need Advice How to Repair Plastic Power Switch on Dell 19" Monitor

"spippy71" wrote in message
Hi,

Recently purchased a monitor from eBay. It's a Dell 19" Monitor model
P991 - Sony Trinitron. The monitor was dropped by the courier, and did
some damage to the power button. I've opened the monitor to have a look
and. Exterior button and spring are fine. It's the internal switch that
is damaged. The plastic arm broke away from the switch shaft. The switch
is is soldered onto the "D" board. The Exterior button pushes the arm,
which turns the switch on/off.

Anyone know the best way to reattach the shaft to the switch? Which glue
or cement would work best on these two plastic parts to make a solid bond?
I can post pictures if necessary.

Thanks,
Steve.

It's a common thing, and is usually fixable with standard cyanoacrylate
superglue BUT, you MUST splint it as well. The easiest way to do this is to
drill a small hole ( 1 or 1.5 mm ) in the centre of the broken off and
still-attached pieces. Then find a tight fitting piece of wire - I use
enamelled copper wire - and superglue it into one of the holes you've just
made. Now cut the wire off to a length to suit the depth of the hole in the
other piece, put some superglue in the hole, and push the two pieces firmly
together. This will repair the switch shaft as strong as the original. Have
done it many times ...

Arfa