Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Coolant/cutting oil on manual lathe

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
I apply coolant mixed with water from a spray bottle.
http://www.instawares.com/Bottle-16-...2-1290.0.7.htm

I apply Sulfured cutting oil with a spray bottle.

I try to use the coolant for all steel cutting except hack sawing and
chamber reaming, when I use the stinky oil.

What's the "stinky oil"? I thought *that* was sulfur oil!

Does generic black cutting oil have sulfur in it?
Is sulfur part of what makes "cutting oil" cutting, as opposed to
lubricating? Anything other diffs?

There is natural sulfur content in fuel oils (depending on geographical
source, I would imagine), which is the primary cause of acid rain--H2SO4.
Some lakes have pH 5!! Like orange juice!! yummm.....

I wonder how one might test cutting oil effectiveness? Tool life?

Yeah, I use those spray bottles as well, except my Costco ones are 32 oz,
really too big. Thanks for the link.
I have found, btw, that some, maybe all those spray bottles lose the
"spray", and will only "stream", above a certain flluid viscosity. fwiw.
If you need the wide angle spray, you can dilute the pure oil w/ wd40,
'Blaster, kroil...
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors or war, stress, and possibly
death.