Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default KIds in the shop...

apropos of the "company" observation, imo, shops (and car-fixing) are among
the top educational "tools" for kids, if you will. Along w/ chess, piano,
and gymnastics.
Unequaled learning vehicles, imo--makes the formal classroom pale, in
comparison.
Really a kind of learning laboratory, if approached properly.

The safety issue, however, is indeed a real concern.
Thoughtful kids will fare better in a shop environment than hyper kids, or
kids on goddamm auto-pilot. Gotta know yer "subject", so sed subject don't
become a victim.
Some kids just need to wreak havoc in a school yard.
Or play goddamm video games.

The kids here in Yonkers, proly due to the water supply, mostly need to be
duct-taped.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus19961" wrote in message
news
My own opinion... There is no single sentence that could make kids
safe, and no single speech could make kids safe around tools. I think
that what is needed is continued attention to safety and constant
safety messages.

Such as, making kids understand why safety rules are important, how
electricity is dangerous, blah blah. Constant attention to safety is
what makes kids safe. I remind my son often that soldering guns are
often hot and should never be touched. As far as childproofing of
devices goes, Itry to make sure that nothing turns on by itself and
that there are no exposed parts where litle fingers can be caught
up. My son does not work with his tools alone, only in my presence. I
think that he likes the company more than the actual work.