Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

Metcal units. Don't have one anymore - lab was in Ca.
martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus19961 wrote:
I am confused, are you recommending Hakko or Metcal units?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:14:45 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I agree - they are fantastic units. I had 3 in my lab and gave another
to the test lab after they used my bench so much.

I think testing should take place - a little research - but could simple
Ferric Chloride the pcb etching acid be used as the bath - a carbon rod ...

That would seem logical to me. Perhaps not a carbon rod - hard carbon for sure -
but maybe a noble metal. (Never Al - it catches on fire). Maybe - not a chemist!!
maybe use some Ti instead of Carbon.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Boris Mohar wrote:

On 29 Jan 2006 16:32:05 -0800, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

Boris Mohar wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:32:57 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
news

Is it just mild steel or something a little more resisitant to oxidizing?

Just wonder if anyone knows off the tops of their heads

Copper. High-quality ones are copper plated with iron.

I would like to get a recipe for iron plating my Metcal tips. Metcal iron
uses induction heated tips whose temperature is controlled by the curie point
of the slug that picks up the RF. These tips are quite expensive and it
would be worth my time to attempt to re plate them. Does anybody gave a good
recipe for plating iron onto copper? I have the DC power supplies.

Is it worth the effort? - my Weller uses the same curie point method,
and after putting 3 replacement elements into it, its headed for the
junkbin. This is caused by wiping the tip on a damp sponge to clean it
- the steam produced eventually destroys the element down the barrel.
Plus, weller tips have a relatively SHORT life - I recently used a
HAKKO iron on a contract, and was most impressed with them- it got a
real hiding, thousands of operations of desoldring/soldering for 8
hrs/day, and no sign of any wear on the tips - a few dollars more than
the WELLER, but tis going to be my next iron. Plus, it had a nice
"feel" to it - one of those intangible things that cant be
quantified...

A query though - I read on anothe group that NASA had banned WELLER
irons because of the spike induced into the tip when it switches -
HAKKO apparently use zero point switching so no probs - whats the
induced tip voltage on your METCAL when its on a heating cycle...?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Boris Mohar

Yes. Weller tips cycle the mechanical switch in the handle. Metcal tips use
curie point to continuously affect the amount of absorbed RF energy. I other
words they have no thermal hysterias. They cost $30 to$100 each and are worth
every penny.