Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eide

Default KIds in the shop...

If you're concerned for they're safety, make sure you tell them that. When
an adult yells at a kid, the kid usually thinks the adult doesn't like the
kid.
It's the old, hate the sin, not the sinner. Tell the kids it's their
behavior that you don't like, not them. Kids are kids, they learn faster
when they make mistakes.

Good luck, it's not easy going from no kids to 4 just like that.

"Bart D. Hull" wrote in message

Gentleman,

Just thought I'd run this past y'all. Recently got a girlfriend with 4
kids (1 Boy 4, 3 Girls 8 - 14) They
are painfully ignorant on how to be safe in a shop or garage environment.
(Had to spend Thanksgiving in the ER due to one of the girls tipping a
motorcycle over on herself and piercing her thigh with the foot peg. Three
layers of stitches later she's somewhat OK.)

In your experience how do you get these guys up to speed without them
killing themselves. If it wasn't for the lady being a really special lady
and REAL easy to look at I wouldn't bother. (She rides dirt bikes, works
on her own van, likes to travel, not afraid of anything, assists with
projects and is pretty darn smart, just to name a few.)

It is even difficult to get them to understand something as simple as
taking their shoes off in the house and put them on to visit me in the
garage. (Yep, already had one cut a foot on some metal scraps, due to bare
feet.Still have to yell at her to put some shoes on when she comes into
the shop.)

How do you teach the "common sense" a great deal of us seem to have in
this group? I never had more than some burned fingers (my fault) and got a
small scald from a bad radiator cap. (Wrong place, wrong time!) I sure
didn't need any trips to the ER before I learned.

I have a great deal of patience, but it bothers me that they
will get hurt. Only other thing is to lock them out of the garage, but you
just know they'll find their way in when I'm not there and truly get hurt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bart

--