Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laszlo Nemeth

Default KIds in the shop...

Bart D. Hull wrote:

Gentleman,

Just thought I'd run this past y'all. Recently got a girlfriend with 4
kids (1 Boy 4, 3 Girls 8 - 14) They
are painfully ignorant on how to be safe in a shop or garage
environment. (Had to spend Thanksgiving in the ER due to one of the
girls tipping a motorcycle over on herself and piercing her thigh with
the foot peg. Three layers of stitches later she's somewhat OK.)

don't touch any shiny parts of the motorcycle. they are hot.
anytime you want on come ask me.

In your experience how do you get these guys up to speed without them
killing themselves.

how did we get to here without killing ourselves? i dunno about the
rest of you but i have done some pretty stupid stuff.

It is even difficult to get them to understand something as simple as
taking their shoes off in the house and put them on to visit me in the
garage. (Yep, already had one cut a foot on some metal scraps, due to
bare feet.Still have to yell at her to put some shoes on when she comes
into the shop.)

well thats a good way to learn. not deadly or permanant.

How do you teach the "common sense" a great deal of us seem to have in
this group? I never had more than some burned fingers (my fault) and got
a small scald from a bad radiator cap. (Wrong place, wrong time!) I sure
didn't need any trips to the ER before I learned.

I have a great deal of patience, but it bothers me that they
will get hurt. Only other thing is to lock them out of the garage, but
you just know they'll find their way in when I'm not there and truly get
hurt.

wellllllll. my 6 year old has her own safety glasses, chair,
and is allowed down when ever she wants (ask first). and we will
do things like cut open a master lock/make a golf tee for grandpa/
paint the new shelf......always with me there watching and giving
advice (not all of it safety). i make sure i involve her in the
whole project including the saftey.

probably her favorite was the time she ran the log splitter (i was
very carefull of my hands and very explicit on when she could start it).

laz