Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Connecting rods revisited

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:58:26 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx for the confirmation, Eric! It's good to hear it from another trusted
source!

Bob Swinney

Well, thanks for calling me "trusted"
Eric
"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:45:51 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to
not
take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to
put
inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered
the
insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

Greetings Bob,
I had to put bronze shells in an aluminum connecting rod a few years
ago. I used loctite. I am very familiar with the stuff, having used it
with very good results for years. But the bronze/aluminum bond was
weak. And like you were told Loctite makes no anerobic adhesive better
than 609 for bronze and it doesn't work well. I still ended up using
609 because there was really no good way for bonding the bronze to
aluminum. But I did use pins through the bronze into the aluminum for
a mechanical lock. It has worked well so far, but I think that if I
ever have to split that connecting rod again the bronze shells will
fall out.
ERS