Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Connecting rods revisited

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to not
take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to put
inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered the
insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:45:51 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to not
take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to put
inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered the
insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

Greetings Bob,
I had to put bronze shells in an aluminum connecting rod a few years
ago. I used loctite. I am very familiar with the stuff, having used it
with very good results for years. But the bronze/aluminum bond was
weak. And like you were told Loctite makes no anerobic adhesive better
than 609 for bronze and it doesn't work well. I still ended up using
609 because there was really no good way for bonding the bronze to
aluminum. But I did use pins through the bronze into the aluminum for
a mechanical lock. It has worked well so far, but I think that if I
ever have to split that connecting rod again the bronze shells will
fall out.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Robert Swinney wrote:

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to not
take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to put
inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered the
insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

You will post pictures when it's done? Please?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:58:26 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx for the confirmation, Eric! It's good to hear it from another trusted
source!

Bob Swinney

Well, thanks for calling me "trusted"
Eric
.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

10-4

Bob Swinney

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Robert Swinney wrote:

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to
not take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required
to put inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and
soldered the insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

You will post pictures when it's done? Please?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Chevy Connecting Rods - 4340? Use in tools/knives/targets [email protected] Metalworking 18 February 25th 06 05:56 PM
Connecting Rods Robert Swinney Metalworking 16 January 29th 06 07:08 AM
Brass Rods & Fittings. Wayne G. Dengel Metalworking 20 September 22nd 05 07:19 AM
Old MSDS Sheets related to Manganese in Welding Rods MMonheit Metalworking 22 February 3rd 04 11:38 PM
FS: Welding Rods - premium assortment [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 29th 03 03:00 PM