Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bart D. Hull

Default KIds in the shop...

Gentleman,

Just thought I'd run this past y'all. Recently got a
girlfriend with 4 kids (1 Boy 4, 3 Girls 8 - 14) They
are painfully ignorant on how to be safe in a shop or garage
environment. (Had to spend Thanksgiving in the ER due to one
of the girls tipping a motorcycle over on herself and
piercing her thigh with the foot peg. Three layers of
stitches later she's somewhat OK.)

In your experience how do you get these guys up to speed
without them killing themselves. If it wasn't for the lady
being a really special lady and REAL easy to look at I
wouldn't bother. (She rides dirt bikes, works on her own
van, likes to travel, not afraid of anything, assists with
projects and is pretty darn smart, just to name a few.)

It is even difficult to get them to understand something as
simple as taking their shoes off in the house and put them
on to visit me in the garage. (Yep, already had one cut a
foot on some metal scraps, due to bare feet.Still have to
yell at her to put some shoes on when she comes into the shop.)

How do you teach the "common sense" a great deal of us seem
to have in this group? I never had more than some burned
fingers (my fault) and got a small scald from a bad radiator
cap. (Wrong place, wrong time!) I sure didn't need any trips
to the ER before I learned.

I have a great deal of patience, but it bothers me that they
will get hurt. Only other thing is to lock them out of the
garage, but you just know they'll find their way in when I'm
not there and truly get hurt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bart