Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

RangersSuck wrote:
my madness is to turn myself some replacement tips for my pace irons
including is possible the SMT tip shapes

A trick I have used is to take a beat-up weler tip, saw off the tip, and
drill and tap for 6-32. Then, you can make pretty much any shape you want,
dip it in anti-seize, and screw it in. These tips don't last long, but they
can save the day when you need something special.

Making them out of copper would probably work better than the steel and
brass that I have tried.

p.

the Pace tips are smoothbore held in palce by a setscrew and in this
case i'm looking specifically at vacuum tips which hav eot be center
drilled deep to allow a channel to suck solder through

but in itself its 4 lathe steps
2-3 are turning and one deep centre drilling for the bit depth od 1.5 inches

and i think that they are 30 bux apeice at leas they were last i checked