Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Wash machine screens

Bob wrote:
If you don't have a whole house filter, get one. That sand is doing damage
to other things. I once saw a domestic hot water coil full of brown glass. I
had to replace the whole coil. After investigation, it turned out there was
sand in the well water. The HO put a filter on and never had it happen
again.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Yes, it does cause problems. Other than the machine no mechanical ones
so far but I do flush out the (hot)water heater at least annually. The
pressure tank doesn't seem to collect it as the house feed comes out at
the bottom. I really don't want to go the whole house filter route as
there just isn't that much of it and it just adds one more nuisance
maintenance item.

Harry K