Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Wash machine screens

Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

If you can remove the screen without damaging the valve, you
can buy a screen that replaces the washer in the end of the
hose that hooks to the water supply valve (bib). Keep a
couple on hand for future replacement. They can be seen here
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidaire/unwasfilhos.html or
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidai...ashosscre.html.
When you install the screen in the hose, the dome should
face the water supply bib.

Frank

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen
on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the
fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left
it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine
sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes
about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

I forgot to mention they are available at Lowe's, Home Depot
or local hardware stores.

Frank

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen
on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the
fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left
it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine
sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes
about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you don't have a whole house filter, get one. That sand is doing damage
to other things. I once saw a domestic hot water coil full of brown glass. I
had to replace the whole coil. After investigation, it turned out there was
sand in the well water. The HO put a filter on and never had it happen
again.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

Frank K. wrote:
I forgot to mention they are available at Lowe's, Home Depot
or local hardware stores.

Frank

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen
on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the
fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left
it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine
sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes
about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

if they clog often (for once is enough) remove the screen in teh hose
and attach a in-line filter that has a removeable screen for easy
cleaning and larger so will not clog as often either.

The best in-line filter I have found is one model I found that is used
on Drip irrigation, found it at lowes, has hose style connections and a
thrid screw cap where the filter can be removed and cleaned when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gord

Leaving the screens out may cause sediment to get into the washer's water
valve and cause
the valve to leak. Replacing the machine's valve can run $100 if you do it
yourself to more than $200 if you call someone in to do it. Get the screens
at Lowes or HD. Get the finest screens you can find and use them on both
sides of the water hoses (as a backup in case something crazy happens). I
learned this the hard way.

Gordon

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
If you don't have a whole house filter, get one. That sand is doing damage
to other things. I once saw a domestic hot water coil full of brown glass.

had to replace the whole coil. After investigation, it turned out there

was
sand in the well water. The HO put a filter on and never had it happen
again.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Frank K. wrote:
If you can remove the screen without damaging the valve, you
can buy a screen that replaces the washer in the end of the
hose that hooks to the water supply valve (bib). Keep a
couple on hand for future replacement. They can be seen here
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidaire/unwasfilhos.html or
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidai...ashosscre.html.
When you install the screen in the hose, the dome should
face the water supply bib.

Frank

DOH! Why didn't I think of that. Those were on my previous machine.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Bob wrote:
If you don't have a whole house filter, get one. That sand is doing damage
to other things. I once saw a domestic hot water coil full of brown glass. I
had to replace the whole coil. After investigation, it turned out there was
sand in the well water. The HO put a filter on and never had it happen
again.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again my wash machine is down due to a clogged screen on the cold
water line.

1. Is there some way to pull that screen out of the fitting (it is on
the machine this time, not in the hose) to clean it?

2. What would be the results if I just yanked it and left it out?
Damage to the water valve?

The material that plugs it is from my well, extremely fine sand that
just barely doesn't pass through that fine screen. Takes about year or
two before it builds up enough to need cleaning.

Harry K

Yes, it does cause problems. Other than the machine no mechanical ones
so far but I do flush out the (hot)water heater at least annually. The
pressure tank doesn't seem to collect it as the house feed comes out at
the bottom. I really don't want to go the whole house filter route as
there just isn't that much of it and it just adds one more nuisance
maintenance item.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is best to do double-duty with screens in the valve itself, and
backup at the faucet end of the hoses with hose screens as mentioned
elsewhere in this thread. You can purchase replacement screens for the
fill valve at an appliance parts store, then install them with a long
socket, such as 1/2" size. Sometimes it is a bit difficult to get the
screen seated correctly. You may have to use gentle pressure from a
small screwdriver to press in one side if it starts going cockeyed.
Or, just replace the whole valve if you can get to it (should be about
$30, not $100 for the part).

By the way, for everyone else, even if you don't have problems with
your valve, it is best to install hose screens. Everyone should have
them. This the best insurance against overflow due to debris in the
valve. New washing machines rarely come with hose screens for the
hoses, but replacement hoses sometimes do.