Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Mohar

Default what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

On 29 Jan 2006 16:52:43 -0800, "KyMike" wrote:

Boris Mohar wrote:

I would like to get a recipe for iron plating my Metcal tips. Metcal iron
uses induction heated tips whose temperature is controlled by the curie point
of the slug that picks up the RF. These tips are quite expensive and it
would be worth my time to attempt to re plate them. Does anybody gave a good
recipe for plating iron onto copper? I have the DC power supplies.

--

Boris Mohar

I have not tried it myself, but the Handbook of Industrial
Electroplating (1947 edition) gives this formula for plating with iron:

Snip..

Best of luck.

Mike

Thanks.