Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KyMike

Default what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

Boris Mohar wrote:

I would like to get a recipe for iron plating my Metcal tips. Metcal iron
uses induction heated tips whose temperature is controlled by the curie point
of the slug that picks up the RF. These tips are quite expensive and it
would be worth my time to attempt to re plate them. Does anybody gave a good
recipe for plating iron onto copper? I have the DC power supplies.

--

Boris Mohar

I have not tried it myself, but the Handbook of Industrial
Electroplating (1947 edition) gives this formula for plating with iron:

Solution Composition:

Ferrous Chloride 96 oz.
Calcium Chloride 105 oz.

Operating Conditions:

Temperature 140-160 deg. F.
Current Density up to 120 A/sq. ft.
ph 5
Anodes Pure Iron
Vat Lead or rubber lined
Agitation Desirable for high current densities

"This solution is used for depositing iron facing on printing plates,
etc., and also for coating cast iron with a layer of electrolytic iron
prior to hot tinning. The solution requires ageing before it will work
satisfactorily and it is desireable to keep it working because if
allowed to stand without working for any length of time it becomes
unsatisfactory.
The principal difficulty in operating this solution is the tendency to
form ferric salts, which are detrimental. This may to some extent be
overcome by floating on the surface small lumps of carbon or rubber.
If the bath becomes oxidised it will normally be shown by a yellowish
colour. Hydrochloric acid must be added and scraps of pure iron hung in
the solution. The solution should be kept warm and left for several
hours, preferably overnight.
Anodes are preferably bagged with asbestos cloth or woven glass."

Best of luck.

Mike