Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Mohar

Default what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:32:57 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
news
Is it just mild steel or something a little more resisitant to oxidizing?

Just wonder if anyone knows off the tops of their heads

Copper. High-quality ones are copper plated with iron.

I would like to get a recipe for iron plating my Metcal tips. Metcal iron
uses induction heated tips whose temperature is controlled by the curie point
of the slug that picks up the RF. These tips are quite expensive and it
would be worth my time to attempt to re plate them. Does anybody gave a good
recipe for plating iron onto copper? I have the DC power supplies.

--

Boris Mohar