jim rozen

Default Myford Super 7: $10,000???

In article , Abrasha says...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable. (jim)

I would. Not because I don't want one, but because I do not have the space for
one. And a Myford Super 7 would be a nice replacement for and upgrade from my
TOS.

Hmm. Think some more. The DSM-59 that I bought recently takes up
*less* floor space than the 9" SB that I once owned. The key
to remember is that they have underneath motor drives, the
9" SB model A is like the Myford IIRC and they use a rear-mounted
motor and countershaft. Takes up a *lot* of room.

Besides, "turning down an HLVH" was not the issue. Shopping for a new Myford
Super 7 was. And my point was that people who shop for Myfords do not have
Hardinge or 14"' swing lathes in mind.

Maybe. Most folks who are are upgrading do so opportunistically.
They wait and watch. You must understand there's a *lot* of
machinery being sold right now as manufacturing phases out.
Which would you buy, the 9" SB model A, for $800, or the nearly
unused Harding DSM-59, for $600? Those are the real numbers, too.

Granted the DSM-59 is not in the same class as teh HLVH.
But it stacks up favorably to the Myford, at less money.
And I bet it takes up less floor space.

Jim

please reply to: