clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default Myford Super 7: $10,000???

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:58:40 -0700, "Mark Winlund"
wrote:

"Doug Warner" wrote

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan-made
units?

No.

Mark

Not that much better, but at least twice as good.
Saw one go at auction in Fergus Ontario area a few weeks ago for $2800
Canadian - sold new in 1992, and virtually unused. If I didn't already
have an older one at home in the garage he would not have gotten it so
cheap.
Paid $1500 Canadian for mine about 5 years ago and figure I got a
bargain.
Mark Rand

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:05:01 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

Curious to see what it would cost to replace my old, beat-up ML-7
with the latest Super 7 model, I called Blue Ridge Machinery, and got
a quote of "$9900, $10,500" I was too shocked to ask what the two
different prices were for..

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan-made
units?

If you wait 50 years and pick one up second hand, the price will probably be
quite reasonable.

Mark Rand (my ML7 is now 52 :-)
RTFM
Jack Smith

wrote:

Curious to see what it would cost to replace my old, beat-up ML-7
with the latest Super 7 model, I called Blue Ridge Machinery, and got
a quote of "$9900, $10,500" I was too shocked to ask what the two
different prices were for..

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan-made
units?

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are vermin. Please kill them.

That's almost a 50% increase in price since I bought my Super 7
long-bed in 1999. Is the price quoted for the new version with the
much larger spindle through hole, or the long-produced model? (I can't
recall the precise sizes, but it's close to 5/8" whilst the new one is
well over 1") That change might account for a large part of the price
increase.

I'm glad I bought mine, but if the price were $10K, I'm not sure I
would have reached for the checkbook so quickly.

Jack

RichD

I bought mine in the early 70's for $1035 with 3 and 4 jaw chucks!
Still like new with lots of hours on it, save for a few paint chips.
My favorite, over my SBL 9" too.
RichD

wrote:

[...]

Colin French

Think your self lucky
Myford lathes start at $16,000 Australia

wrote:

[...]

For a lot less than $10,000 US OR CND, one can purchase a decent
Hardinge HLV-H toolroom lathe, used. Even off Ebay.

There is a bit of difference between the two lathes...just a
bit....G

Hell. for half that, a guy can buy a nice used Mori-Seki manual lathe,
with a 14" swing. Serious difference between that and a
Myford...VBG

Gunner

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

jim rozen

In article , Abrasha says...

but I don't think that someone who is looking to replace a Myford Super 7 is in
the market for a Hardinge ...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable.

Jim

please reply to:

Bruce Simpson

wrote:

Curious to see what it would cost to replace my old, beat-up ML-7
with the latest Super 7 model, I called Blue Ridge Machinery, and got
a quote of "$9900, $10,500" I was too shocked to ask what the two
different prices were for..

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan-made
units?

Hell, at that price you could buy a cheap Chinese lathe and hire a
master-machinist to turn it into a *really* nice machine by
blueprinting it, fixing the compound, etc -- and still have enough
change left for a whole summer's worth of beer!

That Chinese stuff isn't too bad really. If you're prepared to put in
the time to make a few modifications and generally tidy up the rough
edges they can perform very well indeed.

Abrasha

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Abrasha says...

but I don't think that someone who is looking to replace a Myford Super 7 is in
the market for a Hardinge ...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable.

I would. Not because I don't want one, but because I do not have the space for
one. And a Myford Super 7 would be a nice replacement for and upgrade from my
TOS.

Besides, "turning down an HLVH" was not the issue. Shopping for a new Myford
Super 7 was. And my point was that people who shop for Myfords do not have
Hardinge or 14"' swing lathes in mind.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Gunner

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:46:13 GMT, Abrasha wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Abrasha says...

but I don't think that someone who is looking to replace a Myford Super 7 is in
the market for a Hardinge ...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable.

I would. Not because I don't want one, but because I do not have the space for
one. And a Myford Super 7 would be a nice replacement for and upgrade from my
TOS.

Besides, "turning down an HLVH" was not the issue. Shopping for a new Myford
Super 7 was. And my point was that people who shop for Myfords do not have
Hardinge or 14"' swing lathes in mind.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

But, perhaps they should have a Hardinge in mind, particularly if you
get a superior lathe for much less money. I do not know the
dimensions of a Super 7, but a Hardinge HLV-H is only about 5' long
and about 34" deep, not a particularly big footprint. And that of
course includes the cabinet, which has a decent amount of storage
under the right side. They do weigh about 1800 lbs, but hey...thats
needed for a stable lathe that will cut in the very very small tenths,
all day, every day.

The HLV-H has a 9ish inch swing and IIRC, 18" between centers. ACTUAL
working room. It might go to 20".

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
jim rozen

In article , Abrasha says...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable. (jim)

I would. Not because I don't want one, but because I do not have the space for
one. And a Myford Super 7 would be a nice replacement for and upgrade from my
TOS.

Hmm. Think some more. The DSM-59 that I bought recently takes up
*less* floor space than the 9" SB that I once owned. The key
to remember is that they have underneath motor drives, the
9" SB model A is like the Myford IIRC and they use a rear-mounted
motor and countershaft. Takes up a *lot* of room.

Besides, "turning down an HLVH" was not the issue. Shopping for a new Myford
Super 7 was. And my point was that people who shop for Myfords do not have
Hardinge or 14"' swing lathes in mind.

Maybe. Most folks who are are upgrading do so opportunistically.
They wait and watch. You must understand there's a *lot* of
machinery being sold right now as manufacturing phases out.
Which would you buy, the 9" SB model A, for $800, or the nearly
unused Harding DSM-59, for $600? Those are the real numbers, too.

Granted the DSM-59 is not in the same class as teh HLVH.
But it stacks up favorably to the Myford, at less money.
And I bet it takes up less floor space.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

For a lot less than $10,000 US OR CND, one can purchase a decent
Hardinge HLV-H toolroom lathe, used. Even off Ebay.

There is a bit of difference between the two lathes...just a
bit....G

As one other data point, right before south bend went out
of business, they were selling brand new 10Ls for about
$16K, for the toolroom model.

(This may be one reason why they went out of business.)

But given the differences between the myford and the
10L, the $10K number actually kind of makes sense.

Jim

please reply to:

geoff merryweather

For the cost of a new Myford, you could buy my Colchester Chipmaster
(5"ch*20) and have it fully reconditioned to like new, with a
variable speed invertor. It is a primo littl elathe, and not much
bigger than teh myford, but a far better machine.
Geoff
david

DejaVU wrote in message ...
ChrisCrosskey scribed in
:

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
.. .

Curious to see what it would cost to replace my old, beat-up ML-7
with the latest Super 7 model, I called Blue Ridge Machinery, and
got a quote of "$9900, $10,500" I was too shocked to ask what the
two different prices were for..

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan
-made units?

I personally think so. My ML7 is 55 years old and still going

I second that. 1963 ML7, but I learnt on a Super 7, and lust for a
Super 7 Plus Conosseur (-:

those 2 prices, lower one for the Super 7 Plus, the higher for the
Conoseur (how DO you spell that?) which has a built VFD speed control

both have 26mm spindle bore and power cross feed iirc.

swarf, steam and wind

I'm glad I bought a Super 7B a few weeks ago then. I had been looking
for a pristine model for the past 2 years and found one the first week
of August. It was purchased 6 years ago and the owner had
conservatively put 300 hours on it by his guesstimate.

It came with a Toolmex 3 jaw, dividing head attachment, swiveling
vertical slide, gear cutter assortment, quick change toolpost, tool
assortment, assorted tailstock arbors, cabinet stand, cover, spare
belts, etc. All for the great price of $2000. With the exception of
a few paint scrapes here and there it truly is like new with nary a
speck of rust. It also came with the original shipping and packaging
for the lathe and all accessories and included all of the original
documentation, receipts, etc.

The dimensions are 45 inches overall length, 24 inches deep, 59 inches
high at the head where the clutch assembly is, and 50 inches high at
the tailstock. This model is 19 inches between centers and has the
..59 inch spindle hole.

Why this and not the pristine DV59 I saw from a machine tool dealer?
$1500 less and 1000 pounds less weight. I needed a relatively light
machine so this is what I bought.

This is a great platform to learn on and if I decide on an HLVH over
the Porsche Boxster in the future I will still keep the Myford.

Regards,
David
jim rozen

In article , david says...

The dimensions are 45 inches overall length, 24 inches deep, 59 inches
high at the head where the clutch assembly is, and 50 inches high at
the tailstock. This model is 19 inches between centers and has the
.59 inch spindle hole.

And that right there is the single biggest flaw in the
machine IMO. I don't know if it's the Lucas heritage
or the lack of central heating in britain, but all their
lathes have an undersized hole though the spindle. South
bend figured that one out around 1940, and bestowed
a 1.375 inch bore on its spindle.

Why this and not the pristine DV59 I saw from a machine tool dealer?
$1500 less and 1000 pounds less weight. I needed a relatively light
machine so this is what I bought.

Then you have purchased the best machine for you. Basically
it seems like a myford in that flavor is pretty similar to
the 9" south bend model A. You were lucky and got one with
all the bells and whistles for a great price. I've seen
tooling for machines like that fetch prices that dwarf the
lathe's cost itself.

This is a great platform to learn on and if I decide on an HLVH over
the Porsche Boxster in the future I will still keep the Myford.

Or, if you feel like it, sell the myford for exactly what you
put into it, and use that money to help upgrade.

Jim

please reply to:

Abrasha

david wrote:

[...]