Gunner

Default Myford Super 7: $10,000???

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:46:13 GMT, Abrasha wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Abrasha says...

but I don't think that someone who is looking to replace a Myford Super 7 is in
the market for a Hardinge ...

Anyone who would turn down an HLVH in favor of a
myford is certifiable.

I would. Not because I don't want one, but because I do not have the space for
one. And a Myford Super 7 would be a nice replacement for and upgrade from my
TOS.

Besides, "turning down an HLVH" was not the issue. Shopping for a new Myford
Super 7 was. And my point was that people who shop for Myfords do not have
Hardinge or 14"' swing lathes in mind.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

But, perhaps they should have a Hardinge in mind, particularly if you
get a superior lathe for much less money. I do not know the
dimensions of a Super 7, but a Hardinge HLV-H is only about 5' long
and about 34" deep, not a particularly big footprint. And that of
course includes the cabinet, which has a decent amount of storage
under the right side. They do weigh about 1800 lbs, but hey...thats
needed for a stable lathe that will cut in the very very small tenths,
all day, every day.

The HLV-H has a 9ish inch swing and IIRC, 18" between centers. ACTUAL
working room. It might go to 20".

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke