Bruce Simpson

Default Myford Super 7: $10,000???

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:05:01 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

Curious to see what it would cost to replace my old, beat-up ML-7
with the latest Super 7 model, I called Blue Ridge Machinery, and got
a quote of "$9900, $10,500" I was too shocked to ask what the two
different prices were for..

Are these lathes THAT much better than the typical $2000 Taiwan-made
units?

Hell, at that price you could buy a cheap Chinese lathe and hire a
master-machinist to turn it into a *really* nice machine by
blueprinting it, fixing the compound, etc -- and still have enough
change left for a whole summer's worth of beer!

That Chinese stuff isn't too bad really. If you're prepared to put in
the time to make a few modifications and generally tidy up the rough
edges they can perform very well indeed.