Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default Questions - Battery Back-up Sump Pump

wrote:

the 300 bucks is a bargain for a 12 volt pump system but remember every
few years you will need a new battery, or find your pump time shrinks
from hours to minutes. it will pump about the same volume to battery
exhaustion.

How lucky can I get! I was in to Canadian Tire (CDN automotive/hardware
chain) and they had a 12 volt backup kit on sale (not advertised- reg
$249.95 for $150)! Old stock I think. Says it pumps up to 1200 gph. I
bought it and a deep cycle battery. Have it on the charger now. I'll
put it in next weekend.
when looking at pump capacity look at head, how high it has to pump. if
you go this way dont feed the backup pump to the same drain line as the
primary pump.

I only have to pump about 3 ft up to reach a drain. I'm thinking that
should near maximize its pumping volume capacity.

if the primary pumps check valve fails, you will folld anyway.

incidently a short term flood of the underside of your basement floor
isnt a disaster. its when the water floods your basement and ruins your
stuff that matters

Thanks for your help.

Keith