Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Default Rural driveway advice

If there is a limestone quarry in your area and your planned driveway is
relatively flat, the best driveway that I've ever had was made of a 5 inch
layer of quarry dust...the fines from the crusher are perfect for driveway
use. It contains everything up to about 1/4 inch and packs to a hard flat
white surface after a couple of rainstorms. I had to rake level a couple of
small spots after the first rain, but then it stayed as flat as blacktop for
years without any maintenance. Grass won't grow in it either. The cost was
only what the trucker wanted for hauling it because the quarry was giving it
away. I wish I still lived there.

--
Charley

"Wilson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Stone that's that deep will make waves and you'll be forever leveling it.

"Crusher run" is what we get...unsorted, so it has fines as well as some
gravel. The fines fill the voids and stabilize it.
Wilson
"ATP*" wrote in message

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Good thoughts and appreciated. The organic bit was a concern I had that
you confirmed. It'd have to be removed before the stumps cut down, if I
went that way, otherwise I'd just be revealing more stump. One thought
put forth was 5" of stone.

ABC stone is a crushed mixture that packs like concrete. NC DOT uses it

lot and it's fairly reasonably priced.

It's called RCA around here. Recycled Concrete Aggregate. I've never

heard
of ABC stone.