Don Foreman

Default Tamper proof Lag Screws (was: Security Systems)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:22:46 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

When putting up security bars, do consider making them open able from
the inside, ok? Id hate to find out one of our posters became a Extra
Crispy HSM.

Thanks for the thought!
When we own our own home I'll go to that effort. Here, the kitchen is
too small to get "trapped" in, and the front door is just a couple feet
to the right. Living quarters are the whole upstairs, and we have an
emergency chain ladder that can be let down from any other window.

As for "security" fasteners, while looking to see if there might be any
bargains on ebay for alarm systems, I ran across a very complete set of
drivers for practically every "tamper resistant" fastener on the market,
selling for under $12. So much for that one..
Think I'm going to custom mill the heads of lag bolts in the three-lobe
profile centerless grinders hate. I think I can come up with a profile
sufficiently close to constant diameter that after case hardening,
nobody is going to get much of a bite on them with vise grips, yet still
be able to get a decent grip with a matching driver.

Visegrips can grab constant-diameter just fine. Put a bit of taper on
the sides so visegrips can't get a grip but just slide off the
hardened surface when tightened.

After you've made 'em and case-hardened 'em, I'd zinc plate them for
you if you'd like, no charge. It only takes a few minutes.